Saturday, December 31, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
Back in October, I bought this palette for less than 4$ from Rite Aid, and was so impressed with it that I went back a couple days later to buy three more. I'll probably put two of them up to give away on either facebook or twitter, so look out for that soon. Now, click the jump for the review and lots of photos!
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Despite my bad experience with a different matte nail polish from Zoya, these two colors had surprisingly great wear on my nails. I wanted to post something on time for once and tried a holiday manicure last week with Posh and Veruschka. It's nothing too fancy (and rather boring in my opinion), but I wanted to put up a post in the spirit of Christmas, so here it is! I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday weekend staying cozy and warm with loved ones.
Monday, December 19, 2011
I wore Zoya Phoebe back in October to test it for wear and was so disappointed with the results that I considered not publishing this review for a while. Prior to this color, I had such favorable experiences with Zoya polishes and was honestly kind of surprised. Phoebe was a summer release as part of the Mod Mattes collection, and it is a gorgeous bright matte blue.
Friday, December 16, 2011
I bought this compact back in September from AHAlife and it was my very first Guerlain purchase. Although it wasn't my first luxury beauty item, it was the first time I was getting such a high end product without any discounts--full price plus shipping. I remember getting body chills in anticipation right after I ordered from being so excited. It was a fresh kind of rush only beauty addicts will understand.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
MyGlam is the first makeup-related subscription I've signed up for and it just started up this month. I'm not too sure how other subscription boxes work, but MyGlam bags are 10$ a month (with free shipping) and sent out to subscribers towards the end of a given month. I received mine on Tuesday, the 13th, but I did hear about people getting theirs the day before.
Friday, December 9, 2011
|pose of ponder|
The other day, I was sent this photo and it got me thinking about how long I've been blogging on here. I actually started out on tumblr because it had been a familiar platform for a few years already. Then the tumblr 'blackout' happened and I deemed it unreliable to store my documenting. I also wanted my own domain since I was progressively getting more into makeup and thought that maintaining a blog would encourage me to be more organized. I have the memory of a goldfish, so the cataloging on here has really helped me at times.
Also, I admit, I used to hate on twitter, and avoided making an account for so long. But now it's my go-to for social networking and keeping up with new friends and brands. It's an avenue where I've met lovely people who I bond with though I've never even met most of them in person. I understand that a year is not much, but I think I've improved in ways that I hoped I would compared to the initial start of this blog.
What I've improved on in the last year:
- my photography -- something I aim to continuously better as I get older.
- my makeup application -- some of my previous posts are soooo embarrassing to look at now.
- phasing out watermarks -- I've always hated them, but they made me feel more secure about "sharing." It will still bother me a whole lot if I find people stealing my photos (it remains a constant fear), but I try not to think about it because it hinders me.
- being more confident in my work and considering it good quality
- readership -- as much as I'd like to say that it doesn't matter how many people read my blog, it really does affect me sometimes. I just don't seem to have that allure~* of getting more people to stick around constantly, so I really appreciate the readers who take the time to comment every once in a while and interact with me. Thank you for your continued support.
Goals and what I want to improve:
- consistency, both with posts and videos -- I wish I could just work as a full-time blogger, wouldn't that be a dream? Although I can't fully focus on this blog until sometime next year, I do hope to have some sort of regularity in the future.
- editing videos -- I have no idea how to edit videos. I just sort of do them in one go which can be quite strenuous if I have to do multiple takes, haha.
- taking selcas and more FOTDs -- I need to be less camera shy even if my look is a disaster. I definitely want to take 'live and learn' to heart, because at the end of the day, it's just makeup.
- makeup application on others -- not worry so much about messing up
- meet new people (in person) -- I'd really love to meet any of the friends I've made through twitter, attend IMATS in California, and Beautylish events next year.
- up my self-esteem to a healthy level
- self promotion -- I don't want to come off annoying, so I try not to, but I haven't quite learned the art of confidently promoting oneself.
- I'd really like to be sponsored for a product (or two) by a brand I love and in general, feel more appreciated by brands I support.
- side project: slowly build a wardrobe by finding clothes that fit me properly and dress more ladylike!
These are just a few things I could think of and wanted to share with you all. I hope to keep improving for not only myself, but for the readers who have stayed by me since finding this modest beauty blog. I am truly grateful to everyone who has stuck around beyond the giveaways, and have even become my friends through the portal of the internet. If you have any suggestions for me to work on or feedback you'd like to give me, please feel free to leave them in the comments or shoot me an email!
Here's to another year on makeup tokki! ★ミ(。●ヮ●)っ旦~
Here's to another year on makeup tokki! ★ミ(。●ヮ●)っ旦~
Monday, December 5, 2011
I am completely untalented at describing scents and deem myself rather useless when it comes to that kind of thing. I can, however, show you product shots! Plus, I really only got this rollerball perfume because of its packaging and for the sake of collecting as many Donutella things as I possibly can. It is 18$ at Sephora.
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Friday, December 2, 2011
Thursday, December 1, 2011
|+ note from Jasmine (aka Jazziebabycakes!)|
Last month, I won an Urban Decay beauty bundle from Beautylish. Please check out their site if you haven't already. It is a wonderful beauty community filled with reviews, photos, and videos all in one place. The team themselves post helpful tips and inspiration everyday and are very friendly on twitter. I hope someday to finally meet them in person at one of their awesome events! Anyway, I wanted to show you swatches of the goodies I received as I've been wanting to try most of it myself! Hit the jump for a mega photo post.
Monday, November 28, 2011
Talk about late--I've had this palette for nearly a year, and I'm now finally reviewing it. I don't love it as much as the Sweet Heart one, but it's a great palette nonetheless. After all this time of trying out a lot different brands, Sugarpill remains as one of my constant favorites. I reach for these colors whether it's for an everyday smokey eye, feeling creative, or for when I'm traveling. The Burning Heart quad has four rainbow-friendly colors that are wonderfully vibrant in their (mostly) matte application.
Sunday, November 27, 2011
I swatched a few different colors using a new top coat I got from the Old Vic Collection by Nails Inc today! These photos however, are of the manicure I gave myself for the week while I test out the wear. I messed up my ring finger several times before I painted something that didn't look terrible, so I hope you like it~ Look out for the duo polish review early next month!
Thursday, November 24, 2011
These Cromatico palettes have been out for quite a while now, but before Sephora's Black Friday discount coming up tomorrow where they're 10$ each (limit 2), they were discounted to 19$ down from the original 25$. Unfortunately, as cute as these palettes are, I'm not even sure that they're worth 10$ each. On a side note, I also have one in Bastardino, and really only got these mini palettes because I liked the charms and never bought the respective tokidoki Cactus Pup vinyl figurines.
Lust Red is the second Eyes to Kill eyeshadow I have, and it is also my favorite. For a more complete review, please check out my first post on Blast of Blue.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Thursday, November 10, 2011
- NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- Urban Decay 15 Year Anniversary Eyeshadow Collection
- Deep End
- Urban Decay Black Palette
- Urban Decay Eyeliner in Electric
- Sugarpill Eyeshadow in Midori
- Guerlain Parure de Nuit Pressed Powder & Blush (highlight)
- OCC Loose Colour Concentrate in Burning (blush)
- Lancôme Hypnôse Doll Lashes Mascara
- ManGlaze Nail Polish
✖ Related posts:
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Monday, October 17, 2011
I went to Walmart a while back and got excited since it was the first time seeing Hard Candy anywhere. I picked up Supernova (274) to try something from the brand and mildly regret it now. It's unfortunate that it's rather worthless if you'd like to use it dry because it looks so pretty in the pan.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
Mink Mitten is a color from the new FAiL Collection ManGlaze released about a month ago. It's become my favorite matte nail polish ever, and I don't proclaim that lightly. The label art will be changing from this plastic stickered version I have, so you probably won't be seeing this exact one if you decide to pick it up. And if you're going to shop, don't forget to do it through their facebook for 10% off.
Friday, October 14, 2011
Urban Lash falsies from Urban Decay go for 15$ a pair. It's a little pricey, but their lashes are well-made, durable, and come with great lash glue. Other lashes I have include Instaglam Technicolor and HBIC, but I've only tried the latter of those two as of yet.
A photograph of my nails wearing OPI colors is featured on the homepage of Beautylish today! Here's is my original post with lots more bokeh goodness. Please check out the other ladies who are featured as well.
✖ Related posts:
Thursday, October 13, 2011
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
I'm not particularly big on pearl jewelry, but these studs from HQCD have changed my mind. They're simple enough to be worn everyday yet adds a nice, elegant touch if you're dressed up.